The Hamilton Bulldogs keep their winning ways alive as they move to own the first place spot in the North Divison. After a 2-1 win over Toronto on Saturday, they moved to a tied first place. Sunday afternoon they hosted the Lake Erie Monsters and with a 6-2 win they took the spot all to themselves.

About half way through the first Gabriel Dumont would put one past Calvin Pickard for the first goal of the game and the lone goal of the period. The goal was Dumont’s third of the season with Martin St.Pierre and Patrick Holland collecting the assists. The goal would come on the power play after Gabriel Beaupre was called for interference. Throughout the first period the Bulldogs out shot the Monsters by one.

Into the second the Dogs led 1-0, until just over five minutes when they would take the 2-0 lead. It would be Nick Tarnasky with his eighth of the season. The Monsters continued to fight through out the period and had a couple of good breaks, but came out with nothing until 14:31 when Bryan Lerg would find the back of the net for Lake Erie. Lerg’s goal would cut the lead in half to end the period.

The Monster’s may have managed to get themselves on the board in the second, but they wouldn’t be able to get anything else until just under a minute left in the game. The Bulldogs on the other hand would have four straight starting with Holland’s fourth of the season.
Joonas Nattinen and Jordan Owens would collect the assists on Holland’s goal. Veterans Dumont and Greg Pateryn would give the helper on rookie Stefan Fournier’s first goal of the season and AHL career.
Dumont connected with Holland and St.Pierre yet again, for what would be the third straight goal for the Dogs bringing them to a 5-1 lead. Dumont’s second of the game would also come on the power play.
Louis Leblanc would score the last goal for Hamilton at 15:21 bringing them to a 6-1 lead.

The Monster’s continued to fight through out the third and managed to get one more past Goaltender Robert Mayer. Assisted by Andrew Agozzino, Markus Lauridsen sent one right over Mayer’s shoulder for his second of the season.

Although there were a couple of close calls the Monsters were unable to make any kind of comeback and Mayer would take his second straight win. Mayer stopped a total of 28 shots compared to Pickard’s 22.  

Both Lake Erie and Hamilton were collecting penalty minutes as the Monsters tallied up 43 minutes and the Dogs 35. The end of the third period seemed to turn into a bit of a blood bath as gloves were dropping and fists were flying. A total of 15 infractions would be called throughout the final period… with 8 of them being within the final five minutes. Vincent Arseneau from Lake Erie would collect 10 minutes alone. The main culprit from the Dogs would be Fournier with 7, closely followed by Mike Blunden with 6.  

The Bulldogs next game will be Friday December 13th at Copps Collusium in Hamilton when they host the Toronto Marlies. Their Friday night game will be the first of two next weekend as they host the St.Johns Ice Capps Saturday night. 

Becca Luden