Its not too often you hear a game with 14 combined goals heading to overtime, but this was the case Friday night as the Springfield Falcons used the extra frame to down the host St. John’s IceCaps 8-7 in just what may be the craziest game ever played at Mile One Center in IceCaps history.

The IceCaps got off to a horrid start as the Falcons opened the scoring with three goals in just over 2-minutes in the first period. Carter Camper got things started with his 10th of the season, followed by Jack Skille with his 10th, and then capped off by Matt Taormina with his 9th for a 3-0 lead.

Forward Patrice Cormier would finally get the IceCaps on the board 6-minutes later with his 7th of the season to cut the Falcons lead to 2-goals.

However, the Falcons would get another goal from Skille, along with one from Cody Bass just 16-seconds later to give Springfield a commanding 5-1 lead. However, the IceCaps did not give up, as Kyle MacKinnon and Cormier added a goal each, just 25-seconds apart to send the two clubs into the dressing room after 20 minutes of play, and the Falcons leading 5-3.

In the second period, Andrew Gordon would help the IceCaps continue to claw back from their deficit with his 23rd of the season just 1:52 of the second frame to make it a one-goal games.

However, things would change when Skille completed his hattrick just one minute later to make the score 6-4.

The IceCaps on the other hand were determined to keep battling as Carl Klingberg scored his 20th of the season at 15:11, followed by Jerome Samson who tallied his 22nd of the year to make it all square at 6 after 40 minutes.

In the third, John Albert would give the IceCaps the first lead of the game as he scored his 21st of the season to make it 7-6 in favour of St. John’s, after trailing 5-1. The game would remain 7-6 until late in the third when the Falcons pulled their goaltender, Jack Skille would score his 4th of the night to make it 7-7 with just 16-seconds on the clock and send the game to overtime.

In the extra frame, the IceCaps would fall short of the comeback-to-victory as Falcons defencemen Sean Collins scored his 14th of the season which would be the eventual 8-7 winner as Springfield would take the two points and clinch a playoff birth.

Tyler Beskorowany started the game for St. John’s but would be pulled after allowing 3 goals on 8 shots, allowing Eric Comrie who was called up from the minors last week to play in his first professional game. Comrie would stop 35 of 40 shots in the loss. Mike McKenna on the other hand allowed 6 goals on 23 shots before being pulled in favor of Jeremy Smith who would only allow the IceCaps to score one in order to secure the win for the Falcons.

The rematch – game two will be tomorrow night at 7:30 PM Newfoundland time as the St. John’s IceCaps make the push to get back in the win column in order to clinch a playoff spot.



Adam Reid

@AdamReid_ @AHLWriters