The St. John’s IceCaps were unable to snap out of their downward spiral as the team suffered a 4-1 loss to the Manchester Monarchs on Wednesday Night at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

The Monarchs got things started in the first off a 5-on-3 advantage as Defencemen Slava Voynov beat IceCaps netminder Mark Dekanich for his third goal of the season and a 1-0 lead.

Just over a minute later Brandon Kozun would give Manchester a 2-0 lead while still on the powerplay as he tipped a shot past Dekanich for the two goal lead.

Both goals would come off of a St. John’s IceCaps flurry of penalties as the team first suffered a bench minor for Too many men, followed by Alexander Burmistrov who served a boarding minor, then Kevin Clark would receive a delay of game penalty all within the span of one-minute and five-seconds, resulting in a 2-0 deficit.

In the second, Brandon Kozun would once again strike for the Monarchs as he wristed a shot past Dekanich for his second powerplay goal of the night and a 3-0 Manchester lead after 40 minutes.

Finally, the IceCaps would get on the board in the third with just over a minute remaining as IceCaps star Alexander Burmistrov received a pass from defencemen Paul Postma and fired it on net – eventually hitting a
Monarchs defencemen’s stick to find its way past Monarchs netminder Peter Monnino , and into the back of the net to cut the lead to two.

The IceCaps then pulled their goaltender, hoping to tally another quick marker, but Tyler Toffoli ended any hopes of a comeback as he fired the puck into the empty net to cap off a 4-1 victory for the Monarchs.

Mannino made 26 saves on the night for his first win of the season (1-0-0), meanwhile Dekanich (3-1-0) suffered his first loss of the season for the IceCaps, making 28 saves on the night.


Manchester will host the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Friday night, meanwhile, the St. John’s Ice Caps will fly to Pennsylvania to take on the Hershey Bears Saturday night to finish off their painful 5-game road trip.


Adam Reid